Now that the party is over and we start our journey into the new year, we must reflect on the changes we should make to make this year a memorable one. Here are some tips on how to start your 2014 off right:
1. Clean Up: To some it may sound very obvious or tedious but, a clean space brings about a clear mindset. Having a thoroughly cleaned apartment, room, closet and etc., brings about one less thing to stress about. Everything you own carries a certain energy and, if you’re not using something why keep it? The less baggage you carry at home or in your heart the further you will be able to travel in your life.
2. Apologize: Arguments and disagreements are very spiritually draining. Even when you’re not wrong, you have to let your pride down and let people win sometimes. Clear the air, apologize and move on.
3. Create a Budget: It is not about how much money you make but, about how you spend it. Creating a budget is very important because it helps you to stay organized and financially responsible. Learning how to be a good money-manager early in your life will provide for a better lifestyle in the future. Take care of your priorities first and fun later.
4. Write Down Your Goals: Many people (now with the rise of social networks) have a voice, at times very discouraging voices. It does not mean that you have to listen. Regardless, of what anyone thinks, write out a to-do list for your upcoming year. You can reserve a goal to accomplish for each month.
5. Look Good: Your appearance is a reflection of what you think of yourself. You do not need to splurge to look good. All you need is a little bit of confidence.
6. Be Bold: Do something bold, read a poem at the Nuyorican cafe, try stand up comedy, tell your crush how much you like them, put yourself out there.
7. Choose a Mantra: What quote or thought do you think best applies to where you are in life, right now? Choose something to live by for the rest of 2014. When ever you are feeling down or lacking motivation remind yourself of your mantra and get back to work.
8. Find a Volunteer Opportunity: Nothing is more rewarding than being able to put a smile on someone’s face. Find an organization that matches your interest and apply to be a volunteer. It can be big or small but get involved, it’s good for the spirit.
9. Find a Class: Knowledge is something no one can ever take away from you. There are so many classes available to us and some of them are free/very affordable. Learn something new in 2014!
10. BE POSITIVE: Your thoughts create your surroundings and your reality. Alter any negative thoughts and negative words that you let out. Anything from calling yourself fat, to ugly, to unsuccessful… rid them from your vocabulary. Remind yourself of all the reasons why you are grateful!
It’s time for positive vibes and encouragement. Do not listen to those that try to deter you from the, “New Year, New Me,” spirit. You have the power to change your life so, if you feel it… go for it!