Photo Credit: CrispMe
I cannot believe we are already halfway through the first month of the year. Time waits for no one. This year is very special for me: I turn twenty-five (that was quick), I become an official aunt to Sophia (being born in May, hopefully she’s a Gemini like her auntie) and, according to the five year plan I made when I was a sophomore in college… I’m supposed to become a millionaire this year! I think I might have to push back that dream but, other than that I’m really excited for everything that is coming my way in twenty-fifteen. And, rightfully deserving of it!
The past couple of years have been a struggle for me, more than I could have ever imagined and it is expected as a recent graduate. Everyone has a different life path; I would be lying if I said the road to my personal and career success has been perfect. If you have been following my blog, which I have kind of neglected but, will be working on a lot this year.. *wink, wink*, you know I was depressed because I was still stuck on the “love of my life” (who right now, I could care less about) and, because I lost my [brand] identity. We all get detoured at some point in our journey, especially when it comes to figuring out our careers. I doubted myself for a while pero, I’m back on track baby!
My friends and associates always tell me this, “you’re always working on yourself, and you’ve been working on yourself since I met you.” That comment annoys me but it just reminds me that I am different from many people. It is okay to be different. I am just not okay with settling and I have a vision. And, I will continue to “work on myself” until that vision is a reality. When that moment comes, they will all know and then understand why I was constantly, “working on myself.”
There is this theory I made up, it may not be at all true but, I having been living by it because it puts pressure on me to reach my full potential and to continue to be a driven woman: “Most of what you will become in life, you will be by the age of twenty-five.“ This is why turning twenty-five is SO important to me. I have a list, and this list entails the kind of women I want to be and the accomplishments I want under my belt. This list is the reason why I have been constantly working on myself. And, until I acquire most of what is on that list I will not be satisfied. I am my hardest critic, you don’t even know. This theory does not mean that after twenty-five you can’t accomplish anything major, for me it means that your foundation is set by this age, your drive has fully blossomed… everyone knows a strong foundation is needed to have a long-lasting structure. Again, my simple theory may just be an opinion of an overly ambitious lady but, according to one of my favorite TED talks ever Meg Jay states, “we know that the brain caps off its second and last growth spurt in your 20s as it rewires itself for adulthood, which means that whatever it is you want to change about yourself, now is the time to change it.” So, is my theory really that off? Hmmm… (genius or nah)?
Resolutions: many people say it is cliché to make empty promises that, “you’re not going to keep.. blah, blah, blah!” I say… many people are mediocre. Set your goals, make your lists and block out the negativity. By twenty-five there is so much I want to have done but, below by looking at my resolutions you’ll get a glimpse of my #RoadTo25 plans:
- Travel to twelve cities in twenty-fifteen (going to Houston, TX this weekend and Las Vegas, NV in June – this resolution is no joke)!
- Read a book each month (currently reading, “The Five People You Meet In Heaven”).
- Leave the past all the way in the past. “When the past calls it has nothing new to say.”
- Finish interior designing my apartment
- Lose thirty pounds – it’s just so hard to stay away from carbs!
- Keep a journal – to track my growth and mentality throughout the year
- GET MY DRIVER’S LICENSE – it’s time!
- Obtain my Digital Marketing Certification from NYU
- Obtain my Zumba Instructor Certification
- Continue making progress in my natural hair journey – today is actually my #LastPermVersary
- Become a more professional lifestyle blogger – I really want to take my blog to the next level
- Brainstorm ideas for a book (I would love to be a NYT Best-Selling author)
- Attend two conferences
- Become a better public speaker (speaking at a career day in February)
- Strengthen the bonds I have with my close family members and close friends – without them there would be no me, seriously!
- Become a total disciplined person – fifteen minutes early, waking up at the same time every day
I am in such a great place right now! This time last year I was a waitress at a restaurant and I lived in a constant state of anxiety due to the start-up I was working for… way too many hats not enough shoes to do all that I was doing for that company! I’m in a place right now where I have ZERO baggage, nothing weighing me down at all. I love my job, I love the people that are in my life right now, I love my apartment, I love what I have learned and I am excited to see what happens this year. Twenty-fifteen I have been waiting for you.. now, show me it was all worth it!